Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Briggs 20

I've been on Facebook for a while now. It's more of a personal communication device rather than a professional outlet, but utilizing the technology on a regular bais in beneficial. I haven;t used MySpace. Briggs Library has a new Facebook page and I am a co-administrator. We hope to use our Facebook page as a way to "push" events and news out to our fans. We already have a news RSS feed on our main webpage, but Facebook offers us the chance to reach a wider and perhaps deeper audience.

Besides Facebook, I'm interested in using LinkedIn, the new professional social network. I have a Twitter account, but I don't use it that much. The character limit seems a bit silly and I don't quite get the advantage of having to communicate in yet another outlet. Still, I'm advocating the library set up a Twitter account and it will be fun to see how that goes.

Since 23 Things was started middle-aged individuals, many of them women, have eclipsed college students and teens as the fastest growing population in Facebook. Eventually the young will have to find a new cool place to go. Will librarians be ready?

No comments: